What You Need to Know to Successfully Work with Concrete Stamps
Stamped concrete, also referred to as imprinted and textured concrete, is one of the hottest design trends. With stamping, any vertical or horizontal concrete surface can be transformed to resemble natural slate, tile, cobblestone, flagstone, wood, rock, and more. Due to their versatility, concrete stamps are perfect for both indoor and outdoor projects. Project customization coupled with cost-efficiency has made concrete stamping incredibly popular.
Based on the nature of the material and work involved, complex concrete stamping projects should be done by a highly trained professionals. When choosing a contractor, make sure candidates have experience, knowledge, and training in using concrete stamps and use high-quality stamping products.
Prior to installation, the contractor will make a full assessment of the area. From there, the appropriate products, tools, and other supplies will be determined. Here are some examples of the products associated with the application of stamped concrete:
- Color Hardener – Once the concrete has reached a specific level of plasticity, a color hardener is applied. One of the best products on the market is Concrete Color Hardener sold by The Stamp Store. This product is a unique mixture of cement, aggregates, surface conditioning agents, and color, and it is available in a wide range of color choices.
- Release Agent – A concrete release agent is applied to the concrete as well. Available in both liquid and powdered form, this agent creates a subtle color contrast and works as a bond breaker to ensure stamping mats and/or skins do not stick to the concrete.
- Testing – Prior to concrete stamps being applied, the contractor will test the surface. If stamping is done prematurely, the concrete will not be strong enough to support the weight of tools and workers. On the other hand, if stamping is done too late, the impression will not be pronounced enough.
Concrete stamps offer many benefits over other decorative techniques.
- Aesthetics – With such a huge range of choices for stamped concrete, virtually any look can be achieved. Along with textures and patterns, colors can be added, giving the concrete even more personality and flair. Not only will you have the opportunity to enjoy a beautiful indoor or outdoor area, but if you ever decide to sell the home, it will be more valuable.
- Installation – The overall installation process is relatively quick. Compared to other materials, a stamped concrete project can be completed in a relatively short amount of time, and large open spaces can be done in hours not days.